28 November 2008

Day 24: Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo (27 km): Turkey Tapas!

Happy Thanksgiving!! We have just finished our communal dinner here at Villafranca at the alburgue Amawalker recommended. I have not been healed yet by Jesus because I got in trouble for icing my leg. He said he would heal me after his dinner.

I felt a bit sad all day being away from home, but I´m trying to make the best of it.

Before I forget about the rain poncho. I like it because it´s easy to get on and off when it starts raining instead of having 3 different things to put on possibly. The downside is that I can´t get to my bag easily from under the poncho and I look kinda crazy.

And I forgot to include my sleeping bag and pad on the packing list. The pad I have yet to use in the winter except for pilates because there is always plenty of beds. So you might want to think about not taking one.

We were a bit tired and sore today from our big walk yesterday. The scenery and weather were both still very lovely today. Walked in the valley with lovely views of the mountain all day.

When we got into the alburge we ran into a lady from a few nights back and found out a pretty wild story. She was traveling with her friend of 5 years who we met a few nights back. He disappeared right after we met them. The police came into our alburgue looking for him the night after we met tham. We heard about that the next day but didn´t think much of it because we didn´t know who they were looking for. So she told us today that apparently he ran off with that adorable French gay couple we told you about and didn´t speak a word of it to her. So she is going on without him. Nuts. I can´t believe he would just leave her without a word.

We had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner with everyone at the alburgue. I said what I was thankful for and a few other people did as well. It was a bit hard to explain with all the languages we had.

I am thankful for: family, Justin and his family, warmth, food, water, legs to walk, the means to travel, holding hands, pilgrims, alburgues, the camino, thailand, my bed in the US, parents who taught me how to be a helping person, love, socks, and hats. To name a few.

Tomorrow the alburgue we were supposed to stay at half way up the mountain is closed so we will either get to the top or stop earlier. There is talk of rain tomorrow. Eek.

That´s all for now. Love and thanks to all our readers and family!!! Abrazos!!

3 comments:

CarolineMathieson said...

Hiya!

I recommend staying at Ruitelan if you can. The two Buddhist brothers will look after well...

Caroline.

Jon Merz said...

I'm thankful that you post so often, Aleza! You've been very dedicated over the past year, especially these past few weeks. I look forward to finding out what's happening in your life. It is a highlight of my day. Happy Thanksgiving! See you real soon!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Aleza!
We are so thankful that you are with Justin to make sure that he has a scarf when it gets cold and to make socks to fit his sandals and to sing songs with him and make him write on the blog once in a while and generally be his true love.
By the way, you have walked (as of Villafranc del Bierzo and factoring out your bus ride) 270 miles thus far! Excellent!! and you have just over 100 to go to Santiago-- so you're nearly at the 3/4 point!
Your latest weather update (Ugh!): Cebreiro, Saturday: Windy, chilly, showers and thunderstorms, high 43;
Triacastela Saturday: Cloudy, windy, showers, thunderstorms, high 35; Sunday: cloudy, morning snow (1") then afternoon thunderstorms, high 34.

Stay warm and hopefully dry!
We love you and miss you.
Love, Dan