03 December 2008

Day 28: Samos - Sarria (12km)/ Portomarin - Hospital da Cruz ( 12km)

Monday . . . this was our 4 week anniversary on the trail! Also meant 1 week till Ireland and 2 weeks till Carbondale!!! Exciting stuff.

The weather Monday until the evening was snow free and above freezing. Just how we like it.

The trail was again green with lots of forests and rivers.

We decided to take a bus or hitchhike today because we want to get to Santiago by Thursday to have more time on the coast. We found a 2 euro bus in Samos that left at 2. Perfect. Then we were able to keep walking in the evening and make it to Hospital da Vega.

The last couple hours of the day we crossed back up into the snow line. The whole day we could see the snow just above us. So we spent the last hour playing catch with snow/ice balls. We also played Justin´s game where you threw up snow balls and keep walking to see if they hit you on the head. A very silly game, but fun all the same. We both got nailed a couple of times.

Monday was the something broken, something stolen, something lost day. Justin´s flip flops broke, the first pair to break since the trip. He has 1 more good pair and 2 Spanish back up ones, so he´s still doing well. (Side note: the number of comments on his flip flops has increased proportionally to the rise in snow so now it´s up to 74!) I also sat on my Thai sunglasses and broke them.

Then when we were waiting for the bus, I got my walking stick stolen!! What!! Who would steal a walking stick? I´m hoping it was a very poor person with a limp who couldn´t afford a cane. I´m going to continue thinking that so I will still feel good about humanity. It was leaned up outside the bus station with Justin´s. They left Justin´s and just took mine. Who knows. Justin told me he was planning on figuring out a way to ship mine home for xmas too. Oh well. Asi es la vida.

And then I put my umbrella in my belt and it slipped out when we were walking. So that´s lost. But only a few more days on the trail, so no big deal.

We got into Hospital da Vega around 6. The town is about 50 people with one bar and one alburgue. We were the only 2 in the alburgue. It was nice because it had lots of heaters so we were able to hand wash pretty much all of our clothes and have them dry by morning.

Justin made some soup and pasta for dinner that we had brought with us and then bed.

And now for today . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I enjoy reading your account of your days and wish you both a happy adventure. A walking stick of mine got stolen on the camino. It is funny how attached one becomes to their stick. I, like you Aleza, had to hang on to the thought that it must have been a very poor person who needed the stick much more than I did. When it became challenging to frame the event in that way then I would think that it is a lesson in non-attachment. That usually did the trick and got me thinking of what else I get attached to in life.I have done the camino six times and the last time, a few months ago, I walked on a very badly sprained ankle and I am really paying for it now. I worry about your feet Justin, but am very impressed at the same time. Good luck to you both. I will continue to check in to see what you have been up to.

Best regards from Deb in North Vancouver Canada...and hello from Dave a fellow pilgrim